Onikira: Demon Killer is a 2D side scrolling beat ‘em up set in a fantasy feudal Japan where the player takes on the role of a samurai fighting to prevent the forces of the Japanese underworld from breaking through into the world of the living.
Onikira: Demon Killer takes the deep fighting mechanics of some of the most amazing 3D beat ‘em ups, like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta, and merges them with classic 2D platformer mechanics in a way that has never been done before. For example, launch an enemy into the air, wall jump to position yourself above them, then Katana Slam them into the ground. Switch to the Naginata and use the Naginata Lift and air dash moves to stay in the air and off crumbling platforms, while pulling enemies up to you to be dispatched in mid-air. Whip out your grappling hook to grapple between platforms, across chasms or fiery pits, all the while fending off enemies.
Every level is crammed full of environmental aids to help the player in combat encounters. Slice the support pillars off a building and watch it crush your enemies as it collapses, or use your moves to fling enemies into spikes, pits, or the path of moving deadly objects. Be careful though, as dropping a building on your own head is known to cause sadness!
We would like to offer a special Contributor’s Pack for our supporters. The pack includes bonus downloads from Digital Furnace Games.
Included in the Contributor’s Pack:
- The Onikira Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in the beautiful sounds of the world of Onikira. 4 tracks available at launch, with more to be added throughout Early Access!
- Art Work from Digital Furnace Games: Explore bonus art work from developers, Digital Furnace Games.
- An Extra Key for a Friend: Share your appreciation for the game by giving a free key to a friend!
- Unique high-level combat – Onikira mixes 2D platform game elements into the combat system to make something special. Moving platforms, wall jumping, wall running and grappling all serve to make for dynamic and emergent combat encounters.
- Seven Areas – the narrative unfolds over highly polished and gorgeous hand-painted levels featuring rain drenched villages, destroyed opulent cities, mountaintop locations and an erupting volcano.
- Master unique weapons – Each weapon - sword, tetsubo, naginata or arm blades - has multiple unlockable moves which can result in massive combo chains when moves are strung together. Combo chains turn directly into score multipliers.
- Responsive and Expressive Combat System – players are rewarded for strategic and skill-based fighting. Play flows naturally from move to move, allowing the player to create new combos that haven’t been designed explicitly by thedevelopers.
- Soul Shop – souls are the currency of Onikira. Use them to revive your health and trade them. At certain points inside each level, the player will find rifts into Yomi where benevolent spirits will trade moves for collected souls.
- Challenge Arenas – players complete combat related challenges and improve their score and skill to gain achievements. The arenas are fully integrated into Steam’s online leaderboards.
- Specific enemy types – with their own unique vulnerabilities, every enemy emphasises a particular fighting style, like a floating, possessed Mempo mask that encourages the use of air game or a monstrously twisted high-ranking samurai, where hit and run tactics are the best way to stay alive.